Pages

Saturday 14 December 2013

Teaching .... a gift .... post 24


The success of a good Teacher is having the observational skills to sense, to know, to understand the fears, insecurities, abilities of their pupil/s. To show their pupil/s how clever they already are in a patient, kind way. A Teacher needs to be many steps ahead, guiding, nurturing, introducing skills and progressions of skills at the moment that will have a long term positive influence on learning

'A true teacher is not one with most knowledge, rather it is one who causes most others to have knowledge'

Teaching swimming is personal, individual to each pupil. A true Teacher has the skill to assess an individual or group merely by each one's reaction to a simple instruction. Using pupils as motivators for each other has them feeling that they are a part of a group

Teaching is about sharing knowledge where it is needed. Our pupils are wonderful Teachers from whom we too learn a great deal when we use the known skills of listening. When we listen to them through our observational skills we learn how to teach them, what to teach them and when to teach them the necessary skills and the progressions to follow which take them to a great level of achievement

Pupils depend on their Teachers in the many ways of trust, affection, support, praise, fun. The greatest reward to a Teacher is when a pupil becomes independent of them, walks on to the next stage or Teacher in their journey of learning

During the early stages of teaching I would feel sad when a pupil, each one of them a special person, moved on. My brave face showed a smile though my heart was breaking. Behind the smile, hidden tears. My policy was no goodbyes. And then one fine day a precious little soul walked back into the swimming pool area, asked if he could hug and kiss me, said 'thank you Arlene for being so special' with the proudest smile on his face.

My lesson came from a very young boy child who showed me my worth as his Teacher and friend. I realised that I can share all my knowledge and experience, that no one can take away my personality and passion

It is 'rather it is one who causes most others to have knowledge' that is the most valuable gift a Teacher has to share

http://youtu.be/3q7hLkbEIKM



 

No comments:

Post a Comment